Amusements at Odney
Since the very beginning of the Odney Club, Spedan created opportunities for Partners to plays sports. The first piece of land that he purchased, over the bridge here, was called Formosa island. It comprised largely of an unusable golf course but did however provide badminton courts, hard courts, bathing and boating. Over the years many types of sport have been played here including, badminton, bowls, cricket, football hockey, rugby and tennis.
“The supreme function of Odney is to provide open-air exercise”
John Spedan Lewis, The Gazette, 21st March 1936.
Bathing took place in the river by the Water Gardens with two diving boards provided with changing facilities available in Formosa Annex. The first swimming pool at Odney opened in 1960 and the pool and pavilion were renovated and expanded in 1986.