St. George’s was purchased in 1928 to be used as a male dormitory for visitors to the club. Tarrystone was purchased at the same time for the accommodation of the Lewis family and Miss Chawner, who as well as looking after Spedan’s birds, also looked after the Lewis family.
During the war Odney was used to house evacuees of Partners’ families. 100 additional beds were erected in various properties on the estate. Accommodation was very cramped and conditions basic. St. George’s, for economy, had no hot water for 3 days of the week! Mothers carried out much of the day-to-day work as there were few paid staff at the time.
By 1940 the number of evacuees had dwindled and St. George’s was requisitioned for homeless Council tenants and the Manor house for use by British military. The officers stayed in the house with soldiers billeted in the village. Usual Club activities were curtailed during the war with Tarrystone used as the Club centre.
By 1943 the British army had moved out and the Americans moved in. Those evacuees still at Odney were moved to other properties on the estate.
After the war St. George’s was divided up into flats for Partners and eventually converted as residential rooms for guests. Tarrystone became accommodation for Partners employed at the Club.