The area we know as the Water Gardens was once known as Shaw’s Deep and appears to have been a desirable place for fishing as it was once connected to the river.
Spedan orginally planned to use it to hold a range of water fowl that he had acquired but soon had bigger plans. In 1934, he announced in The Gazette that he was hoping to have the water level raised so that it could be used as a bathing pool. Spedan had plans drawn up with a system of pipes drawing water from the Lullebrook but sadly this never came to fruition. Instead the area became overgrown but still a haven for water fowl and in 1965 Bernard Miller suggested that it should be cleaned up and made into a water garden for Partners to also enjoy.