Stanley Carter was one of the best known Partnership characters in the later 20th century. Joining Peter Jones straight from school in 1929 he held a variety of posts, including a spell as a buyer before he reached 26.
He left the business but returned to help with difficult areas of the business, ending up at Oxford Street in 1958 as Managing Director during the final phase of rebuilding.
He was inspirational but not easy to work with and in 1967 was asked to move over to Waitrose, a totally new area for Carter but he rose to the challenge with his usual enthusiasm and drive. He remained at Waitrose until 1973, overseeing the opening of Bracknell, increasing profitability and doubling the number of Waitrose branches.