The Rifle Club

Rifle Club c1980/90
The Gazette

1937 – John Lewis small Bore Rifle Club – Council grant out of funds – four target rifles, four slings, four canvas carrying cases, one cleaning rod.

Gazette 29.1.1938 – JL Partnership Rifle Club – Another enjoyable evening spent on range by club, attendance of about 50, ten being newcomers, bringing numbers up to 80. The arrangements were better allowing Partners to fire more often. Average score 50%. Ladies shooting service rifles, Club held at 56 Davies Street (Queen Victoria’s Rifle Range). Secretary – E Woolley, scorer and official – C P Wykenham-Martin.

Gazette 19.2.1938 – Chairman, as expression of goodwill between Queen Victoria’s riles, made to them a present of £5 for purpose of improvements to the Miniature Range. Anyone thinking of joining will be welcomed and may, provided they pay for their ammunition, shoot as non-members for one month, after which they will be called upon to pay their 2/6d subscription.

Gazette 19.3.1938. Price of ammunition reduced to 4d for ten rounds. Club to have first serious test in match versus Messrs Selfridge’s Rifle Club on range in Messrs Selfridge’s building.


Gazette 11.1.1947 – Letter from E Woolley, Oxford Street. Approached by Social Secretary to enquire as to whether it would be possible to reform the Rifle Club.

Gazette 30.6.1947 – Restart of club. Subs 5/- per year. Ammunition 6d for ten rounds for members. Range now at Drill Hall, 56 Davies Street.

Gazette 30.6.1949 – Central Council awards grant of £30.00 to Rifle Club.

Gazette 1954 – Bainbridges have formed a Rifle Club. Pratts Rifle Club members to be joined by Pratts members.

Gazette 1959 – Ammunition used at Bisley had been to Cyprus and back. Autumn meet at Bisley – cost including ammunition, entry fee, coach fee from Sloane Square and tea was 12s 6d. There were ranges of 300 and 500 yards.

1960 Pratts hold the Partnership trophy.

Gazette 1965. Unlucky beginner at Rifle Club pulled trigger at wrong moment and sent 22 bullet whistling through a dressing table and wardrobe in sub-basement at JL Oxford Street.

Gazette 1985 – Rifle Club change of name to Rifle Association.

Gazette 1989 – JLP Rifle shield won by “Waitrose Johnnies” (John Plumridge and John Davidson) for their team effort.

Please add any facts/anecdotes and photographs, if you have any.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.