The idea for a yacht to be available to Partners was suggested by Spedan Lewis in the Gazette in January 1951. He cited the reason for this was to bring sailing within the reach of ordinary people and was to be the beginning of an activity which has been at the heart of the Partnership from that time onwards.
The Sailing Club was founded by Geoffrey Snagge, the Partners’ Counsellor, who became its first Commodore and was made Admiral of the Club on his retirement. The first boat, Ann Speed, was launched in August 1951 and other boats, all named after Chairmen’s wives, have added to the fleet along with dinghies and kayaks.
Moored in the Hamble estuary the yachts are skippered by qualified Partners and are available for all Partners to sail on.